February 9, 2023
The new compact extra-low voltage drives are absolutely at home in the materials handling technology used in warehousing systems. They offer your applications high running smoothness, overload capacity and flexibility. They have a diverse range of potential uses, and they fit like a glove into even small installation spaces.
For changing requirements in logistics
Demands in consumer and industrial logistics are changing. Orders are having to be fulfilled ever faster and container sizes are getting smaller. At the same time, factory logistics , and therefore also warehouse technology , are becoming more flexible, while conveyor modules are getting smaller and materials handling technology is increasingly mobile.
Shuttle vehicles are taking over from rigid systems in certain areas – logistics and warehouse technology are changing . These changes are increasing the level of automation and decreasing the installation space for gearmotors. How much drive technology weighs plays a vital role, particularly when it comes to mobile systems. The associated drive systems must therefore also become more decentralized, more compact, more lightweight and more networked in order to efficiently meet these requirements.
SEW-Eurodrive offers decentralized compact extra-low voltage drives precisely in order to meet these needs. The gearmotors consist of a compact motor with a 48 V DC voltage supply. These are compatible with compact planetary, right-angle, and right-angle planetary gear units. Together, they make up a drive solution with a compact construction for decentralized systems.
The compact motors are electronically commutated internal rotor motors with a high power density and dynamics. The motors feature fully integrated control electronics with an analog and digital interface. The parameters of these interfaces can be configured via an RS485 engineering interface. This enables users to make flexible use of the motors and adapt them to suit a variety of applications.
Your drive benefits
- Overload capacitythanks to a gear unit selection for high peak loads
- Running smoothnessthanks to optimized gear wheel geometry in a compact design
- Customizedthanks to a large number of motor and gear unit combinations with a variety of reduction ratios in the first and second stage
- Flexiblesince the symmetrical mounting position and lack of offset enable a range of installation positions
The new compact extra-low voltage drives are absolutely at home in warehouse technology and storage systems. Applications in stationary materials handling technology include roller and accumulating roller conveyors, belt and chain conveyors, lifting modules and corner transfer units, turning devices and rotary tables, trolleys, pallet transfer shuttles, vertical conveyors and hoists, stacking devices, container storage systems and sequencers, pushers, and additional stationary materials handling technology.
However, there are also applications for the new compact extra-low voltage drives in mobile materials handling technology, for example as simple shuttle travel drives and load handling devices, on operating devices (SRS, automatic small parts warehouse), in sorters with a belt or tray, pallet transfer shuttles or automated guided vehicle systems.
Your system benefits
- More compact vehicles thanks to optimized and integrated drives
- Greater flexibilitythanks to access to an end-to-end automation system
- System safetythanks to SEW‑EURODRIVE’s service availability
Properties of each series
Compact motor of the DCA series
- efficient as they are electronically commutated internal rotor motors with a high power density and dynamics
- compact as the drives are equipped with fully integrated control electronics with an analog and digital interface
- easy to handle as the parameters can be configured via an RS485 engineering interface
- flexible as they can be adapted to various applications
- contact reliable as all required electrical connections can be made using an hybrid plug connector
Compact right-angle gearmotor of the KN DCA series
- compact thanks to the combination of helical and planetary stage in one housing
- high overload capacity as the planetary output stage consists of 5 straight-toothed planet gears made of hardened sintered steel
- powerful as the right-angle stage is designed to provide optimum conditions for the engaging gears and is connected upstream to a helical planetary stage
- a perfect fit as the drives can be used for applications with limited installation space thanks to their compact design
- efficient as there is no self-locking effect thanks to the high level of efficiency
Compact planetary gearmotor of the PN DCA series
- high overload capacity thanks to a gear unit selection for high peak loads
- running smoothness thanks to optimized gear geometry in a compact design
- a perfect fit thanks to multiple motor and gear unit combinations with a variety of reduction ratios in the first and second stage
- flexible as there is no axis offset and the symmetrical design allows many installation positions
Areas of operation
Lift modules and corner transfer units
- Logistics implies more than conveying along straight routes or one level. That’s why our compact extra-low voltage drives are able to convey around corners or drive lift modules.
Belt and chain conveyors
- Our compact extra-low voltage drives are also tailored to the demands of continuous duty. No matter if packaged goods or light bulk material – our drives transport anything up to 50 kg.
Rotary units and rotary tables
- If your conveyor systems cross each other or if they need to feed goods in and out, our compact extra-low voltage drives also help you efficiently with turning devices.
Linear conveyors and accumulating roller conveyors
- These are getting ever faster and lighter. Also, flexible, controlled stopping of the packaged goods must be ensured – an optimum environment for our new compact extra-low voltage drives.
Pushers and format adjustment
- Diverse goods with different dimensions are transported on your belt? No problem! Our new compact extra-low voltage drives with high overload capacity also move pushers and format adjusters reliably.
Protect your valuable standard and industrial gear units – from the first operation and during each service.
SEW-Eurodrive’s new premium lubricants have been developed to a special formula based on many years of experience and countless test runs. They reduce friction between gear wheels and extend the service life of wear parts such as sealing rings and even the lubricant itself.
The requirements imposed on our gear units by many applications regarding load and operating hours are steadily increasing. You should therefore use SEW GearOil as it significantly contributes to increasing the performance and service life of your gear units. Either for the initial fill of your gear unit or during service and maintenance work: the premium lubricant always increases the efficiency of the gear unit while protecting it from damaging oil foaming at the same time.