May 1, 2023
Ontario continues to attract key investments and create meaningful opportunities for people, families and businesses across the province. Many of these opportunities are in the manufacturing sector. As announced in the 2022 Budget, Ontario is establishing an Advanced Manufacturing Strategy to help boost the long‐term competitiveness and resilience of the sector. As a next step, the government is creating the Advanced Manufacturing Council to help inform the strategy and provide input into its development.
The Advanced Manufacturing Council is made up of the following 10 people:
- Don Walker (Chair) – Former CEO of Magna International
- David Cassidy – President of Unifor Local 444
- Catherine Cobden – President and CEO of the Canadian Steel Producers Association
- Dennis Darby – President and CEO of the Canadian Manufacturers & Exporters
- Aynsley Foss – Issues and Policy Manager of the Ontario Mining Association
- Dr. Peter Frise – Associate Dean of Engineering – Professional Programs at the University of Windsor
- Natasha Gagnon – Interim CEO of the Ontario Aerospace Council
- Giles Gherson – Executive Vice President and Chair of the Economic Blueprint Institute at the Toronto Region Board of Trade
- Bob Masterson – President and CEO of the Chemistry Industry Association of Canada
- Lee McDonald – President and CEO of Southmedic Inc.
The governments of Ontario and Canada are welcoming a $40 million investment by VueReal Inc., a made-in-Ontario start-up located in Waterloo. This investment, supported by $10.5 million in joint funding, will boost local manufacturing, strengthen cleantech innovation and create 75 new, good-paying jobs.